Tuesday, April 8, 2008

No Time To Slow Down

This time of year most seniors are thinking about March Madness and tan lines. While many are gearing down before graduation, some seniors are putting in extra work to secure their futures now.

Hampton senior Jeff Dawkins, a marketing major from Spartanburg, S.C., is working at Thomas and Sons a marketing firm in Norfolk.

"It's a really great experience. I'm getting the chance to do an internship while I'm still in school instead of waiting til the summer to done one."

Dawkins isn't the only senior hard at work this semester. Maya Henderson, an elementary education major from Fayetville, N.C., is spending her free time working for Newport News public schools.

"It's really an excellent opportunity to help the school's while helping myself," Henderson explained. After spending many afternoons with middle school children she feels more prepared to enter the world of teacher after graduation.

Dawkins also said he felt more prepared to enter the work world. "It's a really good internship. I'm not running around getting coffee, I'm doing real work that's going to help me when I leave here."
While Dawkins is making money at his internship. Not all internships are paid. Some of the best ways to find internships is to contact your advisor or go online to websites like fastweb.com.
These seniors also advise that their peers don't fall victim to "senior-itis". "It's important it is to finish your senior year out strong so you can really enjoy your summer with no worries," Henderson said.

No comments: